Thursday 29 December 2011

White Chicks (2004)

Plot: Brothers and FBI agents Kevin (Shawn Wayans) and Marcus (Marlon Wayans) are assigned to protect two spoiled heiresses from a kidnapping plot. The heiresses are going to a beauty contest. When the four are in a car accident and the girls refuse to leave the hotel room, Kevin and Marcus decide to disguise themselves as the heiresses in order to save their jobs. Will they be able to fool everyone and stop the kidnapping plot?

Review: This is an okay movie. The plot is okay, but there's nothing really original or something that will throw you on the edge of your seat.

As for the film's humor, it's a typical Wayans movie. Lots of toilet humor, racist jokes and stuff like that. And it is funny. I've laughed countless times whenever I've watched this movie. But I'm laughing because it's crazy, over the top humor.

The film's make-up is very well done, but it's not a convincing look. Let me try and be clearer. The protagonists in White Chicks are African-American men, disguising themselves as white women. While the cosmetics are impressive, they don't look anything at all like the women they're suppose to look like. I wonder if the characters seeing them are just really dumb. But I know it was for the sake of the movie's plot. Also, how fast they change back into their make-up back and forth throughout the film is unrealistic to me. But once again, it's all for the sake of the plot.

The acting is alright. The Wayan brothers are funny and I enjoy them in their respective roles. But they are slightly melodramatic in certain parts of the movie. I felt the same way about the supporting cast. They're all alright actors and play their parts well, but there's really no standout for me. Usually when I see a movie, for me, there's one actor that stands out from the other actors. For me, they were all equal, which isn't a bad thing.

This is an entertaining, funny and over the top comedy.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment