Thursday 29 December 2011

Spy Kids: All the Time in the World (2011)

Plot: Marissa (Jessica Alba) is an OSS agent who successfully captures Tick-Tock (Jeremy Piven) just before she retire so she doesn't put her stepchildren and newborn in danger. Rebecca and Cecil (Rowan Blanchard and Mason Cook) are twins and Marissa's stepchildren. Rebecca has no respect for Marissa and constantly plays pranks on her. When Earth is threatened by an organization run by someone known as the Timekeeper, Marissa is called back to the OSS. Meanwhile, Rebecca and Cecil learn of Marissa being an agent and decide to help. Will they save the day?

Review: I honestly smelled the disaster when I heard of this movie. When I heard that there were scratch and sniff cards being handed out in theaters, it made me laugh. First of all, the plot is very thin and predictable. I predicted almost every aspect of the movie. The film series theme of family is much more clear in this one than the third film, but it still didn't work for me. While the plot is somewhat original, it just fell flat and I found it boring.

The film's humor is horrible. Just horrible. The first three films didn't rely so much on toilet humor, but this film has so much toilet humor that it's ridiculous and not in a good way. I didn't laugh at all. I think they decided to try and find a way to make little kids laugh and they decided fart jokes would work.

As for the new spy kids, I didn't really like them. I didn't sympathize with Rebecca. I sympathized more with Cecil. I just found them slightly annoying. I really found most of the characters in the movie annoying.

The acting is decent at best. Jessica Alba is okay but she's not really great. Joel McHale plays Wilbur, the kids dad and he's okay as well. Rowan Blanchard and Mason Cook play Rebecca and Cecil. I thought they were decent. They didn't really surprise me, acting-wise, like Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara did. They don't really come off as strong actors, even though they're child actors. But Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara came off as good actors, and they are. These kids weren't just as good.

The scratch and sniff card they handed out in theaters was silly. It didn't even work. I think it was just a ploy to get more money. All of those numbers smelled the same. It would last for a few seconds and that's it.

The film's 3D was again fine. It just wasn't that good. After the disaster that the third Spy Kids movie that was released in 3D, I don't know why they decided to make another one in 3D.

The film's highlight for me was the appearance of Carmen (Alexa Vega) and Juni (Daryl Sabara). I'm disappointed that they weren't more involved in the plot and that they had to be saved by the new spy kids. I just didn't buy that. I think if they were more involved I might've liked the film a little more. But not much.

This is just a horrible, horrible movie with a thin plot, decent acting at best and not so good 3D.


Rating: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment