Tuesday 13 December 2011

The Social Network (2010)

Plot: This film portrays the founding of the social networking website Facebook. The film focuses on two lawsuits filed against Mark Zuckerbeg (Jesse Eisenberg) and Facebook. One is filed by twins Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss (Armie Hammer), who claim Mark stole their idea. The other is filed by Eduardo (Andrew Garfield), who claims that his shares of Facebook were diluted when the company was incoporated. Told through numerous flashbacks and going back and forth between flashbacks and the two separate lawsuits, we learn about the creation of Facebook, which changed the entire world.

Review: I liked this movie. I did. First of all, what I love about the film's plot is that we learn that how Facebook was founded. The details are actually pretty sordid. It's interesting to see how Facebook came to be and the damage that it did to some people involved.

Mark Zuckerberg, who co-created Facebook and is chief executive and president of the company, didn't like the film. He says a lot of it is fictional. And I can understand why he'd say that. Because he isn't sympathetic at all in the film. In fact, I hated him in the film. It's very unusual to say that you hate a character who's being sued and that you prefer the characters that are suing him. I didn't find him sympathetic. Mark Zuckerberg's a genius there's no denying that. He changed the world. But the great majority of the characters in the film I didn't find sympathetic. I found most of them very cocky, arrogant and self-absorbed. The only character I sympathized with is Eduardo, who was screwed over in my opinion. I did have some sympathy for the twins Tyler and Cameron, but not that much.

The acting is top notch. There's no weak link in the cast. Jesse Eisenberg is very good as Mark. I didn't like Mark, I found him unsympathetic but Jesse did an amazing job. Andrew Garfield is also great as Eduardo. Armie Hammer is fantastic as the twins. You honestly wouldn't guess that only one actor is playing both parts so convincingly. Justin Timberlake has a supporting role as the founding president of Facebook and he's also very good.

David Fincher directed this and he did a great job. The entire technical of the film is very well done and the screenplay, adapted from a novel, was also well written.

When I first heard about The Social Network I was looking forward to seeing it. When I heard all the great things about it, I was really looking forward to it. But when I saw it, I felt a little let down. Like it didn't live up to the hype I was expecting. It was a good movie and well done, but it didn't blow me away like I'd expected.

This was one of the most nominated films at the Oscars in 2011 and I was honestly surprised. I felt there were some awards that they shouldn't have been nominated in. I also feel that Armie Hammer should have been nominated for an Oscar for his performance because he was outstanding.

Overall, this is an interesting and fascinating film about the social networking site that changed the world. If the change was for the better or the worse, we've yet to see.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment