Thursday 29 December 2011

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Plot: Alice (Mia Wasikowska) is now nineteen and set to be engaged to a young man. She follows the White Rabbit down the rabbit hole and finds herself back in Underland, a place she visited thirteen years ago. She's told she's the only one that's able to slay the Jabberwocky, a dragon used by the Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter), who terrorizes the Underland inhabitants.

Review: I really enjoyed this movie. This isn't an entirely faithful adaptation of the novel, so if you're looking for one, don't think of watching this. What I like about the plot is that we see Alice as a grownup, instead of the young girl she was when she first visited Underland. I also like that Alice is the opposite of Victorian women.

The acting is top notch. It's an excellent cast. Mia Wasikowska is great as Alice. I will say even though I found Alice's initial refusal to believe in Underland's existence annoying, it's realistic because she's not a child, but becoming a grown woman. Johnny Depp plays the Mad Hatter. I think he did a fantastic job. His loyalty to the White Queen and his attachment to Alice is fun to watch. What I like about this Mad Hatter is that he's mad (crazy) and sane at the same time. Anne Hathaway plays the White Queen and I think she played the part well. There's a sort of vulnerability that comes across Anne Hathaway and I think that empathy plays off with the White Queen. Helen Bonham Carter plays the Red Queen and I think she was also fantastic. I read in an interview she took inspiration from her toddler for the Red Queen and I can see it. The film is just so well cast and there's no weak player. I think with a movie like this, you can't have weak actors.

Tim Burton directed this, so there's that Tim Burton feel to it. The film has a dark and Gothic feel to it. And I like it because it's a different feel to a story that most people assume to be a happy story. So I like that we have a dark feel to the story. The setting of Underland is joyless for the most part. It's not a place where people are singing and dancing. And considering what's happening with the Red Queen, I found it realistic within the plot.

The film is a visual treat. Underland's setting is beautiful to see. The sets in the human world are well-constructed. Not only the sets, but the animated characters as well. The White Rabbit, the Dormouse, the Caterpillar, the Cheshire cat and the Jabberwocky are so well done.

The film's 3D is very good. What I like is that they don't go completely overboard with it. There are so many films that go overboard with their 3D and this one was just right.

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is a unique, entertaining, magical. It's just a great movie that I think any movie watcher will enjoy. Some might not like it. But I didn't like it- I loved it.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment