Thursday 8 December 2011

The Muppets (2011)

Plot: Walter (performed by Peter Linz) is the Muppets number one fan. His brother, Gary (Jason Segel) is taking his girlfriend, Mary (Amy Adams) to Los Angeles to celebrate their ten year anniversary. Gary invites Walter to come with them so he can see the Muppet Theater. When they go there, the theater is in ruins. During a tour, Walter sneaks into Kermit's old office. He then discovers Statler and Waldorf selling the theater to Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) and his associates Bobo the Bear and Uncle Deadly. It turns out if the Muppets can raise 10 million dollars, they get the theater back. But Tex intends to destroy the theater and drill underneath for oil. Walter, Gary and Mary track down Kermit. Kermit realizes the only way they'll be able to save the mansion is to put on another show, which they haven't done in years. They track down the Muppet gang, who have since moved on but manage to get them all back together. But will they be able to raise 10 million dollars in time?

Review: I loved this film. For so many reasons. I usually don't get this excited for movies, especially a movie that you would think is a kiddie movie likes the Muppets. But I was and not afraid to admit it.
This brought me back to my childhood because I would watch the Muppets a lot when I was younger.

I really like the plot. And the reason I like the plot is because it's realistic. Let me explain. The last theatrical release of the Muppets was in 1999. They made a few television films since 1999 and the greater majority of them weren't good. And the television movies they made didn't have the feel of what the Muppets really are. I like that time has passed for the Muppets and they're in new stages of life when Kermit approaches them to do another show. So I like that the Muppets are all at different stages in their lives and most of them are eager to go back to their old roots.

The film is hilarious. Like really hilarious. I laughed out loud so many times, which I didn't expect at all. First of all, they break the fourth constantly. They know they're in a movie. Here are a few examples. In one scene, Kermit says it might be difficult to get the whole gang back together and then Mary says "this is going to be a short movie". When they go pick up the Muppets, I think Fozzi says "it'll go a lot faster if we do a montage". Gonzo blows up his business and then Fozzie says "that was expensive looking explosion. I can't believe we had that in the budget". When they try to get to Paris to get Miss Piggy, they say "let's travel by map because it'll go faster" and then they emerge out of the ocean onto a beach in Paris. The film has a good blend of humor that will make both kids and adults laugh. Especially with some of the cameos, adults will catch on. I like it when films, especially kid-orientated films, put in humor for an older audience to appreciate.

There are several celebrity cameos. Some of the cameos include Alan Arkin as a tour guide, Neil Patrick Harris, Whoopi Goldberg, Emily Blunt, Jim Parsons, Sarah Silverman and Selena Gomez. A great portion of the celebrity cameos only have a few lines. But they're great. For example, Selena Gomez tells Kermit "I don't know who you guys are. My agent told me to come here." Neil Patrick says while taking calls "I don't know why they didn't get me to host". It's these one-liner that connect very realistically to the actors that it makes it even more funny. They aren't playing fictionalized versions of themselves. Also, some of those lines, like Neil Patrick Harris' will be caught on by the older audience members. Jack Black has a supporting role in the film as himself. He is absolutely hilarious in this. I enjoyed him throughout it. His role in the movie, which is much bigger compared to the numerous celebrity cameos, made sense and I enjoyed his scenes very much.

The ending is also very sweet. I will say that I was surprised about how the film ended, but the credits are so funny and fix everything.

The credit scenes with the Mahna Mahna song being done with several of the celebrity cameos is fantastic. It's probably one of my favorite parts of the movie. It's strange to say that the credits might be your favorite part. But I'm so happy that they put in those Muppets because if they didn't, I would've been disappointed because it's probably the most well-known Muppets skit ever. So I greatly appreciated that as a fan of the Muppets.

When you watch it, it feels as if though you're re-watching The Muppets Show because they do the homages to the famous skits in almost every scene. You can catch on to some of their references to the show.

This is a entertaining, funny, heartwarming and enjoyable film that will be appreciated by Muppet fans and those who aren't. This is a treat and a film that will be treasured for a long time. I have that feeling. But if it isn't treated by everyone, I'll treasure it for a long time because it's a callback to my childhood.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment