Monday 26 December 2011

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)

Plot: Coolsville is opening a museum honoring Mystery Inc. and the criminals they've caught. The opening night, a statue comes to life and a Masked Figure threatens Mystery Inc. The monsters that Mystery Inc. once captured have now come to life because of the Masked Figure's scientific machine. Freddie (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar), Velma (Linda Cardellini), Shaggy (Matthew Lillard) and Scooby must stop him.

Review: When I heard they made a sequel to Scooby-Doo (2002), I was skeptical because I didn't enjoy the first one as much as I'd hoped to. But I will say that I enjoyed this one a little more than the first. For one, the plot I like because it's a homage to the series and I like the nod to history of the monsters that are used in the movie. Any Scooby-Doo watcher will recognize the monsters that are used in the film.

The film is trying to balance out numerous back stories and villains and I think they do a decent job with it, but it felt a little unbalanced.

Like the other film, the humor is aimed to younger kids. There's a good majority of toilet and physical humor that's made to make younger kids laugh.

Another aspect of the plot that I liked is Shaggy and Scooby's plot and them wondering where they fit in the group and trying their best to be better detectives. I found that to be realistic.

The acting is decent. I thought it was fine. Nothing over the top special. I will say that they have a good cast and I again think that because the script isn't that strong, it doesn't help them as actors altogether.

I did like this a little better than the first. The humor is more endurable and I really like the plot. Younger kids will be entertained for sure and I think it's a good movie for the family.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment