Thursday 29 December 2011

Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams (2002)

Plot: Carmen (Alexa Vega) and Juni (Daryl Sabara) have now become spies for the OSS's child section, but face competition with siblings Gary (Matt O'Leary) and Gerti (Emily Osment), the children of double-dealing agent Donnagon (Mike Judge), who Carmen and Juni helped rescue in the first movie. Donnagon hacks into the computer system and becomes president of the OSS. Gary later frames Juni for the Transmooker, a device that will shut off all electric devices and Juni is fired. Donnogan plans to steal the Transmooker so he can rule the world. Juni and Carmen follow the trail to a mysterious island, where they meet Romero (Steve Buscemi), a scientist who attempted to create genetically-miniaturized animals but the experiment went wrong and the animals became mutated. Will Carmen and Juni be able to stop Donnagon and his side kick, who is revealed later in the film?

Review: This is actually an impressive sequel. Usually with sequels, I get skeptical. But I was wrong about this one. It's very good and lives up to the hype of the first. It's almost just as good. The plot, like the first, felt fresh and original to me. I liked it.

As far as the introduction of Gary and Gerti, I also liked the history acknowledgment from the first film. I also like the rivalry between the spy kids. I predicted that Gary would turn out to be a bad guy and I was right, but it was still fun to see it unfold.

Like the first Spy Kids (2001), the movie is very visual. I liked the gadgets, I thought it was fun. Especially the bug that Juni has. What I found impressive were the mutated animals created by Romero. I think the special effects department did a good job.

The humor is this is good. A good chunk of it is toilet humor, but I didn't seem to mind it as much. It's good humor for the kids and maybe some for adults.

The acting is very good. Antonio Banderas and Carla Gugino are very good as the parents. I think Mike Judge plays a very good villain. Steve Bescemi is very good as the mad scientist Romero. I also like Mike O'Leary and Emily Osment as Gary and Gerti. Holland Taylor and Richardo Montalban play Carmen and Juni's grandparents. I think they make good new additions. Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara are even better as Carmen and Juni. Their acting had improved since the first, even though it had only been a year. I like Carmen's maturity and her growing as a character. The same goes for Juni, who I found greatly changed since the first. I will say that I think his strength and maturity was clear when he quit the OSS because of mistreatment. I like that he has a clear head of what is right and wrong.

This sequel is just as fun, entertaining and unique as the first. Rating wise, I'm giving it the same, only because it surprised me but I don't think it deserves the five-star rating.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment