Monday 26 December 2011

Scooby-Doo (2002)

Plot: Freddie (Freddie Prinze Jr.), Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar), Velma (Linda Cardellini), Shaggy (Matthew Lillard) and Scooby disband as Mystery Inc. Two years later, the group is invited to Spooky Island, a remote amusement park. They're sought out by the owner Emile Mondavarious (Rowan Atinkson). The gang discovers that demons inhabit the island and kidnap tourists and "possess" their bodies. But a bigger conspiracy is revealed. Will the gang be able to save the day?

Review: I loved the Scooby-Doo cartoons when I was younger. So when this first came out in 2002, I was really thrilled to see it. After I saw it for the first time, I remember liking it, but I felt like it didn't live up to my expectations (or my 10-year-old expectations). The film's plot is very much a long Scooby-Doo episode, but I did like the twist that the monsters are real. They've been doing that a lot in recent Scooby-Doo films.

The film's humor is very much oriented for kids because it's mainly fart jokes and toilet humor. There are some jokes for the older crowd, but the film largely consists of toilet humor.

The acting is decent at best. The script isn't that strong so the actors don't have much to go with anyway so I think the acting reflected that.

As for the film's CGI, this was in 2002 and special effects have evolved since. It's alright. I mean, it's not Avatar, it's a kids movie. The demons are creepy looking and I'm sure that younger kids will find them scary looking.

I honestly believe the film would've worked better if the film was animated instead of live-action. When a classic cartoon like that is made into a live-action movie, it's risky and it has to work to live up to fans expectations. And for me, it was decent, but I think the film would've worked better animated.

This is a decent film that might please Scooby-Doo fans and younger kids.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment