Thursday 3 November 2011

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Hey everyone,
This is my first official review on this blog. I'm excited to share my thoughts with you. I was conflicted to which film I would review first but I decided to review the last movie that I saw, which is The Silence of the Lambs.

Plot: The Silence of the Lambs, based on the best-selling novel, is the story of Clarice Starling (played by Jodie Foster), an FBI trainee, who is asked to question Hannibal Lecter (played by Anthony Hopkins), a cannibalistic serial killer, in hopes to catch another serial killer known as Buffalo Bill. The FBI agent becomes involved in a game of cat and mouse as Hannibal Lecter's obsession with Clarice grows and the twists continue to come.

Review: I first watched this film about four years ago, I had heard good things about it but was still reluctant when I knew of the plot and subject matter. I was completely taken aback. The film is very suspenseful and thrilling.

The acting is top notch. Jodie Foster, who won her second Academy Award for this film, is fantastic as Clarice Starling. She isn't a weak character, stands strong and knows what she wants. Anthony Hopkins is brilliant as Hannibal Lecter. He's on the film for a limited amount of time, but every time he's on-screen, he shines. He portrays Hannibal's insanity to perfection and it's scary to see. Hopkins won an Oscar for Best Actor and was only on-screen for sixteen minutes its been said. That speaks for itself. for Scott Glenn is great as Jack Crawford, fellow FBI. Ted Levin is also fantastic as Buffalo Bill. Just like Hopkins, he's able to portray his character's own insanity to perfection.

The plot is very intriguing and suspenseful. There's so much insanity to the villains in this movie that it could make you wonder how the brain works and how people who appeared to be functioning well could become what they've become. After all, Lecter was a psychiatrist before he started killing people.

I also loved the film's ending. I honestly expected a cliche ending, but it was far from it and I'm pleased that the film didn't necessarily have a complete happy ending.

This is one film that you need to check out. A suspenseful, psychological and thrilling movie that will be enjoyed by, I think, the majority of moviegoers.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment