Monday 28 November 2011

Home Alone (1990)

Plot: The McCallister family is going on vacation to Paris. They sleep in on the day they're suppose to leave and hurry to the airport. They forget eight-year-old Kevin (Macaulay Culkin) at home. While his parents, Kate and Peter (Catherine O'Hara and John Heard) try to get back home, Kevin has to defend the family home from burglars, Marv (Daniel Stern) and Harry (Joe Pesci).

Review: This is a classic. There are no other words for it. It's a favorite among families during the holidays. And it's one of my favorites too. It's a really fun movie. First of all, the plot is fun and everything. We have cartoon humor and heartfelt, heartwarming moments. So we have a good combo of comedy and drama.

In the beginning of the movie, I found nobody in the family sympathetic. Especially Kevin. I thought they were annoying and didn't have sympathy for them and the situation they were in. But later in the film, like half-way through, the characters I thought were more sympathetic and I felt sorry for them.

The acting in the movie is very good. Macaulay Culkin is great in this. He was only ten when they released this and I'm very impressed that he's able to portray the innocence of childhood yet intelligence beyond his years in certain scenes. Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern are hilarious as the dimwitted burglars. Catherine O'Hara and John Heard are good as the parents. Roberts Blossom plays Old Man Marley, a kind elderly man who people say murdered his entire family, thus causing Kevin to be scared of him. I thought his performance was probably a highlight for me.

The traps that Kevin sets for the burglars are fun and entertaining. I laughed at many of them. But are they realistic? Of course not. Not all of them. I joke that I'm surprised that those burglars are even still alive after I finished watching it. One gets his head set on fire, they have paint cans thrown at them, they plunge into a wall and more. Of course it's unrealistic that they aren't more hurt than they are. But it's still fun. It's cartoon violence and we're just suppose to accept it.

There's humor for kids and adults alike. There are some jokes that kids won't get when they're young, but will get when they're older. So I like that there's a mixed-balance for the old and young in the audience.

While the humor in the movie is fun, I also appreciate the heartfelt moments we get. The scene with Old Man Marley and Kevin in the church is probably my favorite scene in the entire movie. It's very heartfelt, moving and we are able to relate. The last scenes of the movie where the family is reunited is also very touching.

This is a fun, entertaining and touching movie for the entire family to enjoy.

Rating: 3.5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment