Friday 4 November 2011

Juno (2007)

Hey everyone,
I'm going to write a review for one of my favourite movies. Released in 2007, I've loved Juno since. It's a hilarious and touching movie that you'll either love or hate. And I for one, love it.

Plot: Juno (Ellen Page) is a 16-year-old girl who becomes pregnant after a one-night stand with her best friend, Paulie (Michael Cera). The smart-mouthed teen decides to give her baby up for adoption after bailing on an abortion. She decides to give her baby to the seemingly perfect couple Mark (Jason Bateman) and Vanessa (Jennifer Garner). But as the months go by, Juno finds herself in the world of adults, which despite being mature beyond her years, isn't ready to face.

Review: Now for the dialogue. The film's dialogue is very different and distinct. Oscar-winner Diablo Cody certainly has a voice and it's shown in this. Some of the dialogue is a little over the top, but it's nonetheless funny and at many points touching.

Now I'm going to touch on the acting. Ellen Page is absolutely brilliant as Juno. She's able to portray Juno's maturity and her inner fears of her situation perfectly. Michael Cera is also very good as Paulie. J.K. Simmons and Allison Janey are also great as Juno's supportive parents. Jason Bateman is also great as a man who wants more out of his life and Jennifer Garner is also fantastic as a woman who has long wanted a child.

This is Jason Reitman's second film and he received his second Oscar nominated for Best Director. That speaks for itself. I saw this movie before the hype it received from audiences and award shows.

I'm going to write a little about the music. Most of the music comes from Kimya Dawson and the Moldy Peaches, an indie band that Ellen Page suggested to Jason Reitman. I've heard that most people find the music very unusual and don't like it. Personally, I think the music fits in very well. Kimya Dawson has an innocent, childlike voice and tone when she's singing and I think that it applies well to the story itself and Juno's situation.

I love that the film has a more humanist approach to teen pregnancy, where we see Juno receive support from her parents and Paulie and that they don't turn against her. Typically when teen pregnancy is portrayed on television and film, you get the one supportive parent, the angry parent and the absentee baby daddy. In this case, you have everyone supporting Juno and wanting what's best for her and the baby. Another aspect of the film I liked is Juno's no nonsense approach to the adoption. She knows what she wants and does it. The ending very much applies to Juno's thinking. Although some may disagree, I prefer the film to have gone that way. Why? Because it's realistic. The option of adoption in teen pregnancy is something I think that writers don't generally explore and isn't shown that much, even though it happens. So I like that Diablo Cody attempted and successfully avoided most cliches with teen pregnancy.

Now this is a movie you'll either love or hate. Some might find the dialogue and music annoying, but for me, it's what makes the film more original and fun.

I think Juno is a highly entertaining, funny and touching film that will remain in my top five of favorite films.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment