Tuesday 22 November 2011

My Sister's Keeper (2009)

Plot: Anna (Abigail Breslin) was conceived via in vitro fertilization in order to be a match for her older sister, Kate (Sofia Vassilieva) who suffers from leukemia. Anna is now eleven years old and Kate is in renal failure, meaning Anna must give Kate one of her kidneys. Knowing her parents will force her to do this, Anna realizes she will not be able to live the life she wants to if she goes through with it. Deciding she doesn't want to do it anymore, Anna files a lawsuit against her parents for the rights to her own body. Overprotective mother Sara (Cameron Diaz), determined to keep Kate alive, represents her family in the lawsuit filed by her own daughter. The film is told through a series of flashbacks of Kate's memories and shows the relationships between her family members and how her illness has affected all of them.

Review: I like this movie. I really do. I'm a fan of Jodi Picoult's novels and was looking forward to seeing this. First of all, the plot is deals with controversial issues like in vitro fertilization, having donor children, the right to make your own decisions in a life and death situation will have people talking. One of the reasons I like Jodi Picoult is because in her novels, she deals with real-life issues. Real-life issues and social issues that many people would be afraid to talk about.

The acting is pretty good. I liked seeing Cameron Diaz in a serious drama because we're usually used to seeing her in comedic roles and I liked this change. Abigail Breslin and Sofia Vassilieva stood out to me. I found them very believable as sisters and I enjoyed that Abigail Breslin portrays Anna with a level of maturity which reflects on how she's lived her life. Alec Baldwin plays Anna's lawyer and I also enjoyed him. Jason Patric plays Brian, the conflicted father who sees both sides of the situation. Evan Ellingston plays Jesse, the middle child and troubled teen. I wish we saw more of him and Brian and their issues because I feel that much of the film mainly focused on the mother and daughters. I've read that the film is very different compared to the book. I've yet to read it so I can say for sure how different it actually is.

Another aspect I loved of the plot is that we get so many different sides to what's happening and I like that out of all the characters, there's one we'll agree with. Everyone might choose a different character, but the point is that we understand.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment