Sunday 8 April 2012

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011)

Plot: Martha (Elizabeth Olsen) is haunted by memories and paranoia as she struggles to readjust after she escapes an abusive cult.

Review: This was a surprisingly great film.

What I like about the film's plot is that it goes back and forth between reality, memory and dream. When I first saw this, I honestly reminded me of Black Swan in a sense. The film's plot can be confusing, but I think that it works because the character of Martha is confused and trying to readjust. So I think that my giving us a slightly messed up plot, it reflects on the character's psychological being as she goes back to what we consider normal living.

The film's acting is phenomenal. Elizabeth Olsen gives us a captivating and strong debut performance. Her portrayal of Martha's paranoia, fear, confusion and desperation to reclaim some part of her life is fascinating to watch. I think she'll make it big. John Hawkes is of course brilliant as always as the manipulative and charming cult leader, Patrick. Sarah Paulson plays Martha's sister and I thought she did a wonderful job. Hugh Dancy plays the Martha's brother-in-law and I thought that he did a great job. His character is the other side, what some people in the audience are probably thinking. He's the voice. This is a well-rounded and talented cast.

This is Sean Durkin's directorial debut and I think that he's definitely established himself as a writer and director. Not in mainstream Hollywood, but in the independent film circle, he's made himself known.

I think this film was overlooked at the Oscars. Most low-budget and independent films that are work of genius are ignored by the Academy, which I think isn't right. We'll get a year when independent films are acknowledged, but for the greater majority, they aren't really.

This film should've received some Oscar nods. Elizabeth Olsen was very deserving of an Oscar nomination for Best Actress. I think it would be a stretch to say she would've won because she wasn't recognized at any other major film awards ceremony like the Golden Globes, but I wish the Academy would've recognized her powerful performance. I always say very few actors leave this kind of impression with a debut performance.

I also believe John Hawkes should have received an Oscar nod for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor. And I also believe Sean Durkin should have received an Oscar nod for Best Original Screenplay. All of these talented artists should've been recognized and I think it's a shame on the Academy's part.

I liked the film's ending, only because it's a realistic approach to the story- that it isn't over. It takes time to heal and move on with our lives as we heal the scars. I think if the ending had everything being okay, it wouldn't be realistic.

Martha Marcy May Marlene is a complex, thrilling and suspenseful that is probably one of the best and more underrated films of 2011.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment