Saturday 21 April 2012

The Hunger Games (2012)

Plot: Set in the future, one boy and one girl from twelve districts are chosen to participate in the Hunger Games, a reality show where twenty-four adolescents and pre-adolescents fight to the death on live television. Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) volunteers to participate after her sister's name is chosen. Now, the odds are possibly in her favour. Who will win the Hunger Games?


Review: I absolutely loved the book. So I was a little skeptical about it. But when I heard Suzanne Collins, who wrote the novel, helped write and was also one of the producers, I wasn't as skeptical, but still skeptical nonetheless. The film is incredible, not as great compared to the brilliant novel but it's still a great accomplishment. I believe that the film is as great as it is because of Collins' involvement.

The film's plot is different compared to that of the novel. What stood out for me were certain details, but the one that really annoyed me was the story of the pin with the mockingjay bird and how Katniss obtained it. Of course, I expected the plot to not be exactly like the book because it's the norm now in film. So certain other details like the creatures that attack

The acting is phenomenal. Jennifer Lawrence is absolutely captivating and brilliant as Katniss. Her ability to portray Katniss' strength, courage, intelligence and vulnerability is so amazing to see. This is a character who isn't your traditional girly-girl female protagonist. I like that we have a strong female character that doesn't take crap from anyone. Josh Hutcherson I thought was also good in this. I found him to be convincing and felt that he had good chemistry with Jennifer Lawrence. Liam Hemsworth is surprisingly very good as Gale and I thought he and Jennifer Lawrence also had good chemistry. Elizabeth Banks is very convincing as Effie. Woody Harrelson I thought was great as Haymitch. Even though his character wasn't all that sympathetic, I thought he was fantastic and held his own. Willow Shields plays Prim, Katniss' sister and I think she was very good. She wasn't on-screen for that long, but she made a great impression. Donald Sutherland plays President Coriolanus Snow and I think he was a brilliant villain. Sutherland makes a menacing and creepy antagonist and you're not entirely sure what he's thinking at some points, which makes him even more mysterious and menacing. The entire cast is fantastic, but let's face it. This is Jennifer Lawrence's show and she owns it.

The makeup in this, especially for the citizens of the Capitol is insane. Insane in a good way. When Effie came on, I honestly thought I was watching a Tim Burton movie, like Alice in Wonderland. Nonetheless, it's very well done.

I admire Gary Ross' direction. The shaky camera movements were a little difficult to see properly at certain points in the film, but I think because the film does focus on a reality show, so I thought the shaky camera movements made it more effective and more real. I also think that the shaky camera movements helped get the PG-13 rating. If we saw all of the deaths, the film would've probably gotten an R rating. Maybe that was Gary Ross' plan all along.

The themes and messages presented in this are messages that I honestly believe we don't see enough of in film.

We have a strong female character who doesn't go along with what is to be expected of her. She has her own opinions and thoughts. She stands on her own and refuses to be defined by those trying to make her something that she is not. We see her strength and vulnerability. Katniss is a fascinating and brilliant female protagonist and probably one of the best female protagonists I've ever seen in film and/or television.

Another theme we have the obsession that television executives have with exposing the weak and taking advantage of it. The media trying to give you the perfect image. People feeling bad for the weak competitor of the game and rooting for the couple of the show who are playing against each other in the game.

The film is very political, which for those who haven't read the book or aren't familiar with the story, might find surprising. We have characters who distrust the government, support the changes of society, while some don't. We see all kinds of different sides and this can lead to discussion with what you and others may think is right or wrong. The political aspect of the film will surely get some people talking.

The Hunger Games is a great, entertaining and thrilling film. Not as good as the book (then again most novels are better than the film adaptation). But this is still a film you shouldn't limit yourself from seeing.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment