Wednesday 2 May 2012

Shrek 2 (2004)

Plot: Princess Fiona's parents invite her and Shrek to dinner to celebrate their marriage. But the in-laws don't know that their son-in-law and daughter are both ogres. Chaos soon ensues as King Harold plans to get things the way they were suppose to be: Fiona being married to Prince Charming with the help of the prince himself and his mother, the Fairy Godmother. Shrek is having his own doubts about whether or not Fiona is truly happy with how their lives have turned out. Will everything work out? Will everyone get their happily ever afters?

Review: Another sequel that's almost just as good as the first.

The film's plot is familiar. But there's no denying that it's hilarious. What I especially like about the plot is that it goes in different directions very smoothly and effectively. You think that it's going to be a film about how Shrek will get along with the in-laws. Then it goes into the territory of the Fairy Godmother and Prince Charming's scheme. That's another of the plot I liked. Prince Charming and the Fairy Godmother are usually those that save the damsels in distress. In this case, they're trying to ruin the happy couple. I also liked the twist with King Harold at the end. I didn't see it coming the first time I saw it but after seeing it again, I realized they had given a few small hints.

But what I perceive to be the film's core plot is about happiness. What people will do in order to not only for their own happiness, but the happiness of others. Shrek, King Harold (Fiona's father), the Fairy Godmother and Prince Charming all do this. They have their own motives, but it ultimately comes down to happiness. Both Shrek and King Harold want Fiona to be happy. Shrek wants to make sure Fiona is happy with what she now has and King Harold decides to try and stir her in the direction that he think will make her happy. And it's also a direction that will make him happy. The Fairy Godmother is doing what she's doing in order to make Prince Charming, her son happy. Whilst Prince Charming is doing what he's doing for his own happiness and to satisfy his mother. So I think the main theme in the plot itself is happiness and it's well presented in the various plots of the film.

Like the first film, we have numerous references to the fairy tales and Disney films. In addition to Prince Charming and the Fairy Godmother, we have the Ugly Stepsister, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and many more. Most of these characters are cameos. We also have many characters from the first returning like the Big Bad Wolf, Gingerbread Man, Three Little Pigs, Pinocchio and many more.

A new main character that we have in this that I'm going to dedicate an entire paragraph to is the one and only Puss-in-Boots (voiced by Antonio Banderas). I think Puss-in-Boots was a breath of fresh air. I thought he was a hilarious character with great lines and fits into the movie surprisingly well. It didn't feel forced in his interactions with Donkey and Shrek. It felt natural. For me, Donkey was the highlight character in Shrek (2001) and Puss-in-Boots is that for me in Shrek 2 (2004).

The film's voice acting is fantastically done. Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy and Cameron Diaz are perfect for their respective roles. They master it very well. The additional voice actors are also brilliant. Julie Andrews and John Cleese are wonderful as Fiona's parents. I believe Antonio Banderas was the perfect choice to voice Puss-in-Boots. He played Zoro and I think he has that charisma and charm that he transitions into the character. I also liked Jennifer Saunders and Rupert Everett as the Fairy Godmother and Prince Charming respectively. Although it was brief, I thought Larry King providing the voice of the Ugly Stepsister to be absolutely hilarious. A highlight for me.

The animation, like the first film, is absolutely genius. I won't dwell on it too much because I'll be repeating myself from my review of Shrek (2001). But all of these animators are brilliant and passionate about what they do. You can tell in the product. And they deserve all the praise they receive.

This sequel definitely held its own and is just as good as the first one. But I prefer the first a little more. I think it's because Shrek (2001) was so original animation wise and in terms of its plot and other concepts that it's a little difficult to outshine. Shrek 2 is wonderful and entertaining throughout.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment