Tuesday 8 May 2012

The Animal (2001)

Plot: Marvin (Rob Schneider), a man who dreams of being a cop, is in a car accident. A scientist finds him and puts animal parts in Marvin to give him a chance of survival. Marvin's animal side starts taking over.

Review: This movie is enjoyable. But is it great? No. It's decent at best.

The script is the film's biggest problem. I laughed a lot and the film is sporadically entertaining. The plot and story is very unbalanced. It's like the writers just wrote a bunch of scenarios and threw them together, hoping it would work. Some of it does, but the script isn't good enough to keep us engaged throughout the entire movie.

The acting is fine. Rob Schneider is Marvin. He's okay in his role. He's not my favorite comedian but I did laugh nonetheless. I think if there had been a different comedian, like Adam Sandler, maybe it would've worked a little better. Colleen Haskell plays Rianna, Marvin's love interest. I thought she did a decent job and I also think she and Rob Schneider worked well together. The twist with Rianna at the end I didn't expect. It doesn't make sense because they didn't really foreshadow it at all. It just came up out of the blue. Maybe that's why I was surprised. That goes back to the lack of good writing. John C. McGinley is Sergeant Sisk and I think he's on the same level as everyone else in terms of acting. Bu I hated the character and he wasn't sympathetic at all. Michael Caton is Dr. Wilder, the doctor that saves Marvin. I thought he was good but I found the character very creepy. He doesn't really have motives for what he does and that makes him questionable to me. All of the characters don't have a logical reason for what for they do and they don't have clear motives.

I did laugh and what made me laugh were the over the top jokes and gags. There aren't necessarily funny but just so unrealistic that you have to laugh at how ridiculous they are.

The Animal is a sporadically entertaining comedy that's a guilty pleasure more than anything else. 

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment