Wednesday 21 March 2012

21 Jump Street (2012)

Plot: Morton Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Greg Jenko (Channing Tatum) went to high school together. Schmidt was the geek and Jenko was the popular dim-witted jock. They meet again at the police academy, where they help each other with their weaknesses during training. They become partners, but are stuck on park duty. When trying to get their first big arrest, they mess up. They're sent to 21 Jump Street, where they're put on an undercover assignment to go back to high school to blend in and bust a drug ring. 

Review: I'm going to admit this movie surprised me in a great way. I wasn't expecting much when I decided to go see this. I had heard good things about it and that it was funny, but I was still skeptical. Boy was I wrong. I was very wrong.

This film is based on a TV series that aired from 1987 to 1991. I've never seen it. But I don't think it matters. I looked online and there are cameos from people that were on the show. Johnny Depp, Holly Robinson and Peter DeLuise had starring roles in the show and reprise them in this very briefly. I like that the filmmakers wanted to honor the show's original cast members and have them be a part of this production, which introduces 21 Jump Street to a new generation.

I enjoyed the film's premise and plot. It felt fresh for me in terms of a buddy comedy. Of course, the plot can be predictable at certain points but it still feels fresh and I find a fresh plot in comedy films very rare and refreshing.

The acting very impressive, which shocked me a little I'm not going to lie. 

I like Jonah Hill and I think he does a very good job in this. His ability to portray his character's change to what I see as desperation to relive his high school days now that he's one of the popular kids. There are times, especially later in the movie that I hated the character because of the character's selfishness but Jonah Hill still rocked it. Channing Tatum really surprised me. We've only seen him in one comedy, She's the Man, which was aimed at teens. Here we see that he has great comedic timing and has a good balance between comedy and drama. I hope Channing Tatum continues to do comedies because he's surprisingly hilarious. Brie Larson plays Molly, a girl Jonah Hill's character likes and I found her very convincing. She felt very real, like any other teenager. She seemed very natural. Ice Cube plays Captain Dickson, who runs Jump Street. I found him to be a great provider of laughs. Every time he was on-screen, I laughed. Dave Franco plays Eric and even though I didn't like Eric because of his cocky attitude, I think Franco pulled it off very well. Franco is also very good at portraying his character's naivety, which made him very funny. Rob Riggle plays Mr. Walters, the gym teacher. Like everyone else, he has great timing and does a fine job. The entire cast is very tight and there's no weak link.

I laughed out loud so many times when I saw this film. I like that not all of the jokes were used in the trailers like most comedies. One gag that I enjoyed is that the characters kept saying that Channing Tatum's character looks too old to be a high school student. And with so many films and television shows where actors in their 20s and 30s play high school students and try to pull of being teenagers, I appreciated those references because it's very true- which makes it funnier. A lot of jokes and gags I didn't expect. While certain plot points I did see coming, a lot of the jokes I didn't see coming which made this movie even better for me. There really wasn't a moment where I wasn't laughing. There's a bit at the end that I'm a little surprised was kept in there. Nonetheless, it was shockingly and disgustingly funny.

21 Jump Street is a hilarious, entertaining and fun film that surprised me and will keep you laughing out loud throughout the entire thing.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment