Tuesday 20 March 2012

Wanderlust (2012)

Plot: A couple (Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston) must move to the country when economic issues result in them leaving New York. Car troubles result in them ending up in a hippie commune. They eventually return, getting use to such a liberating and stress-free lifestyle. But when one of them has had enough, will it destroy their relationship? And is there more to the commune itself than initially thought?

Review: I liked this movie for the most part. But I had mixed feelings about it.

I did think the plot's premise was original and clever. But about half way through the film, I felt that the film was becoming slightly cliche. For example, the husband who doesn't want to live this lifestyle and the wife who does. The wife who can't seem to find what she wants to do with her life and when she finds it, her husband disapproves. And we have the supposed good guy who ends up being the bad one. We've all seen this done before and I saw most of it coming before it happened.

Although the plot can be predictable, the cast is extremely talented. It's a big cast and there's no weak link. Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston have worked many times together and they do so very well. They have a great chemistry between the two of them. The cast is quite big and there are several supporting roles so I'll mention a few of them. Justin Theroux plays Seth, who causes a rift between the couple. Kerri Kenney-Silver plays Kathy, one of the hippies. She was a stand-out for me. She was hilarious and she made me laugh every single time she was on-screen. Joe Lo Truglio plays Wayne, a nudist, and I found him to be just as funny. Alan Alda plays Carvin, the elderly owner of the commune. I found him to be hysterical and also a good voice of reason. A voice of wisdom of sorts. The rest of the supporting cast were also funny and convincing in their respective roles.

Because some of the plot was predictable, so were some of the jokes and laughs. I did laugh out loud but the film wasn't as funny as it should've been. Some of it I could see coming so it didn't really make me laugh. The film is much dirtier than I had initially thought. This isn't a movie for kids under the age of 14. This is a comedy that was made for adults I find just by the content.

Wanderlust is an okay comedy but it isn't as funny as it should be. But it's still tolerable.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment