Saturday 14 January 2012

Push (2009)

Plot: The film focuses on a group of people who have superhuman abilities who band together in hopes of taking down a government agency that is using a drug to enhance people's abilities in hopes of making an army of super soldiers. Nick (Chris Evans) is a Mover (he has telekinetic abilities) living in Hong Kong who is sought out by Cassie (Dakota Fanning), a Watcher (able to see the future). They work along with others to bring down Division, the organization after them and find Kira (Camilla Bell), a Pusher who is the only one to survive after being given the drug.

Review: I enjoyed this movie. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws.

Firstly, I like the plot and I think it's an interesting premise to explore. People who have superpowers and trying to escape from those after them. This is probably insignificant to others, but I like that the film isn't set in America. I like that the film is set is Asia because it gives us a sense of mystery and adds to the desperation of characters that are trying to hide from Division. The setting for me was very interesting and one of the better elements of the film as a whole.

But despite an interesting premise, the plot is cliche and predictable at times. Another aspect of the movie I didn't like is that the story feels unbalanced. It was confusing for me the first tine that I watched it and I wouldn't be surprised if others found it confusing as well. There are many unanswered questions, some that aren't relevant to some viewers. But there are some unanswered questions that are prudent and I think the writers should've paid better attention.

Now for the cast. I think Chris Evans is fine in this as the leading role. He's okay, but I don't think he's that strong of an actor to begin with. Camilla Bell plays Kira, a Pusher (able to implant memories) and I thought she stood on her own in this different role. She plays a woman with a huge range of emotions, which comes from what happens to her in the film. Djimon Hounsou plays Agent Henry Carver, who is an Agent of Division. I think he does a great job of playing this manipulative, scheming and cold character. But the standout for me is Dakota Fanning. This is very different compared to other characters that she's played. She's drunk in a scene, she's feisty and headstrong.

The special effects in this were alright. But there was nothing really amazing or worth noticing for me when I watched this.

This film is entertaining and enjoyable to an extent, but if you never have a chance to watch this, you aren't really missing anything.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment