Saturday 14 January 2012

Alvin & The Chipmunks (2007)

Plot: Dave Seville (Jason Lee) is a struggling songwriter. One day, he discovers the Chipmunks: Alvin, Simon and Theodore. When he hears them sing, he makes them a deal: he write songs for them to sing in exchange for food and shelter. But a record executive, Ian (David Cross) has his eyes on the Chipmunks.

Review: Like the recent Scooby-Doo and Garfield films, we have beloved cartoon characters who are computer animated and brought into the world of live-action films.

I found the plot cliche and predictable. But what I did like about the plot is the idea of showing an audience how the Chipmunks met Dave and how they made it big. It's a good premise, but the film's plot was just childish.

This film is aimed to a specific demographic, which is of course young kids. It's obvious to anyone the way they were marketing it. A good portion of the humor used in the film is for kids and to get a laugh. Adults might get a chuckle or two from this and that's it. I believe that it's good to provide humor for adults in family-orientated movies so that the parents and/or teenagers won't get bored.

The acting is decent at best. Jason Lee is okay as Dave Seville. David Cross is decent as Ian, although I found his character incredibly annoying and melodramatic. Cameron Richardson plays Carrie, Dave's love interest. And I think that she also does an alright job. There aren't that many main characters to begin with, which is good because I don't think I could've handled more.

I will say that the film does have a few touching moments that any family watching will appreciate.

I've said countless times that I believe those films would work better if they stuck to the animation instead of trying to make it all live-action and more current. That's just my two cents.

Alvin and the Chipmunks is a harmless and often humorous film. It's just not a good one.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment