Sunday 26 February 2012

Jennifer's Body (2009)

Plot: Jennifer (Megan Fox) and Anita "Needy" (Amanda Seyfried) have been best friends since they were kids, despite the fact that Jennifer is a popular and beautiful cheerleader whilst Needy is insecure. When they're out one night, Jennifer is kidnapped by Low Shoulder, a band trying to make it big. They perform a ritual to sacrifice a virgin in exchange for fame and fortune. When they realize she isn't a virgin, they kill her and a demonic spirit possesses her. Jennifer uses her appearance to seduce her classmates then kills them. Needy discovers Jennifer is now a succubus; she's weaker when she's hungry and must eat flesh in order to survive. Will Needy be able to stop her?

Review: I enjoyed the movie itself, but isn't all that.

Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody, who worked on Juno (2007) together, reunited to make this movie. I like the film's plot, it has a modern twist to demonic possession that I haven't really seen that much. What's also different is the religious aspect of demonic possession isn't really explored in this. So that is a new element because in almost every movie I've seen that deals with this, religion is a huge part of it. So it was a little different in that regard.

The acting is fine and fun. Megan Fox is actually very impressive in this. Jennifer isn't that much of a likeable to begin with- at least I didn't like her, I didn't find her that sympathetic even when she becomes possessed. Because Jennifer used her looks when she wasn't possessed and the demon inside her uses her appearance to its advantage in order to survive. Adam Brody plays Nikolai, the lead singer of Low Shoulder and I also think he was very good. Johnny Simmons plays Needy's boyfriend, Chip and I think he was fine as well. But Amanda Seyfried was the standout for me. I found her totally believable and the different personality changes in Needy herself when she's insecure and when later in the film she goes head to head with Jennifer.

It's a teen movie about possession so there's a good amount of blood, violence and sex. If you don't like any of that, don't bother watching this.

This film was written by Diablo Cody, who I'm a fan of. I like her witty and unique dialogue. I loved it in Juno. But with this, I didn't think it worked as well as it did with Juno. I think some of the dialogue was a little forced. Nonetheless, the dialogue was witty and funny at certain points, but I think the dialogue worked better in Juno. After watching Juno, Jennifer's Body and I've seen United States of Tara (the series Diablo Cody created) and I think that certain actors are able to pull off her dialogue and some aren't. I think my thoughts apply to certain actors in this film, which I won't bother naming.

Jennifer's Body is a fun and entertaining film, but I do think they tried a little too hard.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment