Wednesday 8 February 2012

Darkness (2002)

Plot: A teenage girl, Regina (Anna Paquin) and her family move to a home in Spain. But she soon discovers the gloomy home has a dark past that threatens to destroy the family.

Review: I'm going to start this review by saying that this isn't the greatest horror movie I've seen. This is more of a guilty pleasure than anything else.

Firstly, the film's plot isn't anything that we haven't seen before. A family moves into a house with a dark past- how many times have we seen that? But what I found interesting about the film's plot itself is the representation of the dark itself as an entirely different being. It felt slightly fresh to me.

When I first watched this film, I will admit it was the first scary movie I had seen that actually scared me. I watch it now and I wonder how that came to be. The film does have a couple of decent scares, but nothing special that will leave you with goosebumps.

The film's acting is fine. Anna Paquin is really the only reason I wanted to watch this. I thought she was good, but not great. Stephan Enquist plays her younger brother, Paul, and I think he does the creepy kid role very convincingly. Those two were the only standouts for me. Lena Olin and Iain Glen play their parents and they're also okay in their respective roles. Other than Paquin and Enquist, the cast isn't that memorable unfortunately.

I'll admit that when I first watched Darkness I found it scary. When I saw it again, I felt more differently.

Darkness is a sometimes spooky and suspenseful film, but I feel that it's not entirely new but it kinda is in a weird way. I can't really explain it. But like I said in the beginning of the review, it's more of a guilty pleasure than anything else.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment