Thursday 25 October 2012

My Halloween movie picks

Since it's October and of course it's Halloween in a few days, I'd figure I'd tell you my top picks for horror movies to watch during Halloween or even for whenever you want to have a horror marathon. I'm a fan of horror films and I could go on and on with this list, but I'm going to narrow down some of my personal choices that I think offer good entertainment.

Here are my choices in no particular order:

Psycho (1960)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Jaws (1975)
Carrie (1976)
Halloween (1978)
Poltergeist (1982)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Misery (1990)
The Shining (1980)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Scream (1996)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
The Ring (2002)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
The Others (2001)

Child's Play (1988)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Omen (1976)
It (1990)

Now reading my list, you can obviously see I've recommended a lot of flicks from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

The reasons I focus on older films is because those are the films that I consider to not only to be scarier, but they have more substance in their respective plots, characters and even the scares I feel that current horror films aren't up to the standard of older horror flicks. The ones that I picked may not be better than the classics, but they definitely have something that for me, makes them stand out in the list of modern horror movies. I'll leave it at that.

Some of these films are absolutely terrifying, while a lot of them are scary, funny and entertaining. Some might think that "The Silence of the Lambs" isn't really a horror film, it's more of a thriller. It is a thriller, but has elements of crime and horror, which is why I included it in my list.

You may notice I've put the year next to the film title. The reason I do so is because of the string of horror remakes in the last couple of years. The originals offer something that the remakes cannot. I won't get further into that. I wrote another post about it so you can check it out if you're curious about my thoughts.

Again, these are my personal choices. These are movies I'd watch on Halloween or for when I want to watch a good horror flick.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment